Natural carpet cleaners and deodorizers can easily be made out of household products you may already have in your home. There is no reason to introduce expensive and toxic chemicals into your home, when these homemade and natural alternatives are available.
Carpet Spot Remover
- Recipe 1: Mix white vinegar and baking soda into a paste. Work the paste into the stain with an old tooth brush. When dry, vacuum up baking soda. Depending on the stain, this process may need to done twice.
- Recipe 2: Soak spot immediately in club soda and blot until spot is gone.
- Recipe 3: To remove grease spots, blot up as much liquid as possible then rub a liberal amount of baking soda or corn starch on the spot. Let sit overnight then vacuum in the morning.
- Recipe 1: Sprinkle baking soda on carpet, leave on 15 minutes or longer, then vacuum as usual. This will naturally remove pet and other odors from your carpet.
- Recipe 2: For a fragrant carpet freshener, combine 4 cups baking soda, 35 drops Eucalyptus essential oil, 30 drops Lavender essential oil, and 25 drops Rosewood essential oil (or any combination of essential oils), mix in a bowl breaking up any clumps to disperse the essential oils. Sprinkle mixture on carpet and let sit for at least 15 minutes before vacuuming.
Carpet Steam Cleaner Solution
Fill the carpet cleaner with a mixture containing equal parts of white vinegar and warm water, then clean according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Carpet Cleaner for Pet Accidents
First blot area, then add a solution of white vinegar and water. Blot again until almost dry. Sprinkle baking soda over the area then let dry completely. Vacuum up the baking soda residue the next day.
Indoor / Outdoor Carpet Cleaner
Mix a solution of 1 cup of white vinegar in 1 bucket of warm water. Scrub carpet with a brush or broom then hose off.
Photo Credit: Dan S. via stock.xchng